Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Day 118: Frozen Mojito Cakes

Day 118.

I made these cakes for my party I had last week. I had a ton of mint, and thought this would be a good way to use up some of it!

Here's what you'll need.
Photobucket
2 sticks of butter, softened
3 cups pretzels, finely crushed
2 8 oz packages of cream cheese, softened
Grated peel of 3 limes, plus 1/2 cup lime juice
3 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh mint
2 cups heavy cream
1 1/4 cups sugar (not pictured. Whoops)

Photobucket
I loaded pretzels into the food processor

Photobucket
and pulsed it a couple of times to finely crush the pretzels.

Photobucket
Melt the butter in a large skillet

Photobucket
Stir in the pretzels and cook until nicely browned, about 3 minutes.

Photobucket
I decided I wanted to make my cakes bite sized, so I used a teaspoon of pretzel mixture. If you want yours cupcake sized, use a tablespoon.

Photobucket
Press the pretzel mixture into the bottom of the tin.
I had enough to fill my 24 cup mini muffin tin, another 12 cup tin and 6 cupcake size tin.

Freeze tins for 30 minutes.

Photobucket
Beat the cream cheese until fluffy, 2-3 minutes.

Photobucket
Finely chop mint.

Photobucket
Add in the sugar, lime peel, lime juice and mint.

Photobucket
Transfer mixture to a bowl.

Photobucket
Beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks form.

Photobucket
Fold whipping cream into cream cheese mixture.

Photobucket
Once the crusts are frozen, remove them from the freezer.

Photobucket
Fill in the cups. Cover with plastic wrap, and freeze for at least 4 hours. Mine sat in the freezer for two days.

When you're ready to serve, run a wet knife around each cake to loosen it from the pan. Serve frozen.

2 comments: