Monday, February 1, 2010

Day 32: Pierogi Pizza

Day 32.

This recipe comes from my Canadian friend, Marcie. She says this is her favorite pizza, so I figured it was worth a shot! I mean, it's a pizza. With potatoes. And bacon. And cheese! What's not to love??? Pierogis, if you don't know, are a Russian/Polish/Ukrainain thing. They're a dough filled with lots of different things, commonly, mashed potatoes, onions and cheese. The dough is then boiled, baked or fried. Yum. Frozen pierogis are available in most grocery stores as well.

Here's what you'll need.
Photobucket
Pizza crust-you can make your own or be lazy and buy one. Like me
2-3 potatoes
4-5 pieces of bacon
3-4 tablespoons prepared pesto
Mozzarella cheese
Sliced onions

Preheat your oven to 350*

Photobucket
Break out your mandoline slicer, if you have one.

Photobucket
Slice up the potatoes.

Photobucket
Dump them into a mixing bowl.

Photobucket
You'll need to spice these puppies up. Use some olive oil, garlic powder, seasoned salt, red pepper flakes and just a bit of cayenne pepper.

Photobucket
Put the potatoes on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.

Photobucket
Meanwhile, dice up the bacon and cook in in a frying pan.

Photobucket
Chop the onion.

Photobucket
Once the bacon is crispy, take it out of the pan and set aside.

Photobucket
Cook the onions in the bacon grease until they're soft. Take them out and set aside as well.

Photobucket
Break out the pizza crust and brush on a very small amount of olive oil.

Photobucket
Spoon the pesto onto the crust.

Photobucket
Spread it around.

Photobucket
Pull the potatoes out of the oven and pile them onto the crust.

Photobucket
Add the onions and cheese. I ran out of shredded cheese so I had to use the rest of the mozzarella pearls from last week. That's okay. I still think they're pretty!
Sprinkle the bacon on the top too. I guess I didn't get a picture of that! I thought I did. Whoops!

Photobucket
Bake according to your package directions. Mine said to bake at 425* for 7-8 minutes. So that's what I did.

Photobucket
Marcie was right. This IS awesome!!




1 comment:

The Charm of Home said...

Whoa! That looks like some serious pizza! Yum.