Sunday, March 21, 2010

Day 80: Brown Sugar Chicken

Day 80.

It turned kind of cold today, and it was dark and rainy. Good day for a hearty crockpot meal! The first time I read these ingredients I thought they sounded really odd together, but somehow, through the magic of the crockpot, it comes out really yummy.

Here's what you'll need.
Photobucket
1 1/2 -2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken, diced
1 cup brown sugar
2/3 c. vinegar (I used white)
1/4 cup lemon-lime soda ( I had 7-Up)
3 tbsp. minced garlic
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. black pepper

Photobucket
Place chicken in crockpot

Photobucket
Add remaining ingredients.

Photobucket
Give it a good stir to combine.

Pop the lid on it, and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.

Photobucket
Just before you're ready to eat, combine 1 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch with 2 tbsp. water and pour into the crock. This will help to thicken the sauce a bit.

Photobucket
Stir that in, and let it sit for just a few minutes.

Photobucket
We like to serve this over egg noodles, but it would be good over rice as well.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Now this sounds delish! And I have everything but a can of soda! That never happens to me.

I think this will be on Thursday's menu along with a loaf of bread from that handy dandy machine you gave us!

My mouth is drooling just thinking about it.